Haunted: The Royal Hotel, Winchester, Hampshire
Stewart | On 15, Sep 2017
The Haunting at the Royal Hotel
There’s a plaque at the hotel which states…
This hotel, built in the reign of Charles II, was once known as ‘the Bishop’s House’.
It incorporates part of the Tudor house of Lady Mary West, built on land owned by Wherwell Priory.
This was a secret centre for local Catholics in the 1580s.
Following sale to the Catholic London District, it became a convent of refugee English Benedictine nuns in 1794.
CW Benney converted the building into the Royal Hotel in 1858.
Witnesses have reported seeing ghostly processions of monks and nuns making their way from the hotel and heading towards the High Street.Click Here to Stay at the Royal Hotel
Matthew Feldwick (2006) Haunted Winchester. Tempus